Saturday, January 31, 2015

Day 15: And the Boys...And the Boys...

 
Haha…Just kidding. Kind of…Although, I tried to figure out my “type” while talking with some friends last year, and we worked out that I like tall skinny British men. So I guess it’s fairly accurate :~) Especially since ten and eleven were two of the people we were referring to...
As you have probably guessed, today's post is about the kind of guy that attracts me.
I guess I like guys who are well balanced in their masculinity. I definitely couldn’t deal with a guy who makes me feel like the man in the relationship. He has to be manlier than me. Which, the way guys are going, is getting hard to find. Not that I am all that masculine, but I am not scared of bugs or the dark or many things in general. I have had guys try to get me to smash bugs for them, end up nearly in tears because I was holding a snake (completely harmless Garter snake, not something that would do any sort of damage) near them and they were afraid that it would jump on them or something, and be nervous to go outside in the dark just because it was dark out. Not for any good reason, such as there were panthers outside, or a madman with a chainsaw (that we knew of). Of course, I’m also no interested in the kind of guy who is all “Sports, cars, hunting, blah blah blah…” It’s totally possible to be manly without being all macho. The ability to do basic household and car maintenance, build a fire, things like that, those are good skills for anyone, male or female, to have, and I think it’s something that most boys don’t learn growing up anymore, and they are things that men should know how to do.
I like educated men. Not necessarily those who have gone to college (though I am not anti-college. It would be pretty hypocritical if I only liked guys who went to college since I’ve not been), but a guy who can read well and carry on an intelligent conversation and who knows what he is talking about because he forms his own opinions rather than simply going with what other people say.
Musical is a big positive. That cliché is very true. And tall…I mean, musical and tall, those things are sort of shallow. But they’d be nice. I thought for a while, when I liked a guy I knew in Brazil, that I’d be ok with someone shorter than me, but I have changed my mind. And who knows. Maybe one day I will eat those words. But taller is definitely a huge plus. I'm not terribly bothered about eye or hair colour. I'm usually not big on blue eyes, but it's not a deal-breaker either way. I've met people that I find very attractive only to decide that I think they're physically ugly when I find out what jerks they are. And I have met people that I do not find attractive until I learn what wonderful people they are. It isn't a conscious decision, just something that happens.
I’ve found that I am not interested in guys who talk big. You know, the kind who say, “When I reach this point in my life, I’ll be able to do this thing that I’ve always want to do.” and then never actually do anything to reach that point. I realize that reaching your life goals isn’t something that will come immediately, but you have to be trying for them.
And lastly, a guy who wants to go on adventures. And not even anything big. An adventure can be hiking through the woods on a snowy, moonlit night. An adventure can even be going and volunteering somewhere or doing a mini road trip. But sitting around watching tv isn’t good enough by far.
I used to go to a church that did the whole “make a list of what you’re looking for in a husband” thing. I now think that is kind of nonsense. A lot of people would miss out on the right guy if they did that and stuck to their lists. But there are things that are important to each person that aren’t negotiable. And they’ll be different for everyone. For example, I had a friend tell me once that he’d found that women tend to go for more feminine men. And this was something he’d seen many times. So perhaps I am a bit of an odd one in saying that I would be far more interested in someone less feminine. But these are some of the specific things which are a big deal for me. I’m sure I could think of more, but this is probably enough. 
I was going to end the post with a few photos of the guys I find physically attractive, but decided that would probably be a little bit shallow :~) So I'll just end it by saying that I am pretty sure I have very unrealistic expectations for men (personality wise...), and for now, this picture rings pretty true:
 


No comments:

Post a Comment