Friday, May 3, 2013

Random things


I realized today, as I was going through my camera bag looking for my necklace, that I keep really random things in my bags. Not a lot of them, because I can’t stand having a bunch of stuff I have to dig through. If a bag gets too full, it drives me buggy, and I have to dump it out and get rid of half of the stuff in it. But usually, there will be at least 1 thing that, no matter how pointless it is, I will leave it there.
At the moment, it is a ticket from Arthur Christmas that I saw July 18th of last year. Kinda weird…I guess when we were at the movie, I just stuck the ticket in my bag, and never took it out. And it will probably be some time before I take it out. Things like that aren’t always just junk. Oh, frequently they are, and when I have junk in my bags, I chuck it out. But it’s funny, because this ticket is like a photo for me. I take it out, and I remember the circumstances around going to see a Christmas movie in July. I remember fun time spent with my cousins. We were trying to get as much time together as possible before I left the country, so I spent the night at their house, then took them home with me to spend a couple of days with me, then went back to their house and went to the county fair to see their 4-H projects. On the 18th, it was so beastly hot that we almost melted going to the park to go out on the paddleboats. We needed some sort of respite from the heat, and sitting in an air-conditioned theatre was perfect. Especially watching a Christmas movie. I think I was far more amused by the movie than the boys were, but they enjoyed it too.
I seldom even remember that the ticket is in my bag. It’s in a little side pocket that I don’t use much. But if I have to get something out of it, sometimes the ticket falls out, and it reminds me of a really good time. And usually, that’s what the random things in my bag are. Reminders of times that I want brought to mind once in a while. Because, though it’s not good to live in the past, there’s nothing wrong with remembering the good parts, and remembering the people that you care about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment