Friday, May 4, 2012

Why we do what we do

I posted this on the Leg Up facebook page, and thought I'd put it here too. Sometimes it is good, even when you are passionate about the cause you are working with, to write down why you are passionate about it. There is a lot of skepticism toward horse therapy sometimes, and I know that I will run into it. So I wrote this to remind myself what the reasons are for doing horse therapy. I can look back at this on those days that everyone says I am crazy, and I can say, "No! I know why I am doing this, and it is worth every bit of hardship. These are my reasons, and I won't back down."
So here it is:
We do what we do because we see that it works. We see the smiles, we see lives being changed, and we know that God is rejoicing over us as we use his creation to reach his children.
When people are willing to stand in the rain so their child can have therapy, we know that it is making a difference. When we see the girls' confidence growing, or see one of the kids who is able to sit up on their own a little better, we know we are giving them a better chance at life.
Yeah, sometimes it's hard. It's a little uncomfortable walking around soaked to the bone because you've been caught in a rain shower. There are times that the horses don't behave the way we want them to, or traffic is backed up like crazy because of the tourists, or a horse is sick, or any number of things. Working with animals is always less predictable than sitting down with a cup of tea and talking about life. And then when you throw in the Indian culture with their, 'eh, we'll get there when we get there.' mentality that makes it ok to say you'll be there in 5 minutes when you really know it'll be an hour or two, things get interesting.
But even when things are tough, if you see that you are making a difference, it is easier to continue. You can't give up, because you will let those who are counting on you down. And people do count on these ponies. God can use everything, and through Leg Up, he uses 4 ponies to improve the lives of 5 girls and 9 children with handicaps. And the program will only progress from here.
And that's why we do what we do. God has given us an opportunity to reach lives using a somewhat unorthodox method, and we are going to run with that and continue the work he has given us to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment