Monday, May 28, 2012

Dust?

I close my eyes
only for a moment
and the moment's gone
all my dreams
pass before my eyes in curiosity
dust in the wind,
all they are is dust in the wind 

Same old song,
just a drop of water
in an endless sea
all we do,
crumbles to the ground
though we refuse to see
dust in the wind,
all we are is dust in the wind 

Don't hang on
nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky
it slips away
and all your money,
won't another minute buy

Dust in the wind
all we are is dust in the wind
dust in the wind
everything is dust in the wind 
dust in the wind


This song used to really, really bother me. I hated the thought that we were dust in the wind. I was having a real struggle at that point with my faith, and figuring out what I believed, and going through a tough time of questioning God. It got to the point that if Dust in the Wind came on the radio, I would freak out until it was changed. Which really made Carla mad because she liked it a lot. 
Then I had myself convinced for a while that the song was totally wrong. We're not dust in the wind, because we have God who gives meaning to our lives. But even that thinking was a bit skewed. So here is my opinion of Dust in the Wind now. 
For the most part, the song is true. Moments don't last. The things that we build don't last. For example, I have spent a lot of time teaching Hercules to drive in the last couple of months. And I and other people will spend a lot more time working with him. And one day, he's gonna die, and all of that work will be totally obsolete. Not to be negative, that's just the truth. 
If you miss the moments in your life, your money won't buy you any more. But that isn't the end. The earth and sky are not the only things that last forever, and that is where we have hope that is not mentioned in this song. The physical things that we do will not last. They will fade like flowers, and blow away like the dust. But if we make a spiritual impact through the physical things that we do, that will not fade away. 
So much of what I worry about are things that will crumble away. And why do I worry about them? I don't worry about the dust in the arena that I walk through every day. I need to learn how to focus on the things that matter, not that which will blow away. It's hard. Sometimes the "right now" seems like it will be important forever. But if I only have so many moments, I want to spend this fleeting time pursuing things that will last. In that way, I can make each fleeting moment into something that will last. It's like Rumpelstiltskin turning straw into gold. And gold is something that will last rather than blowing away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment