Monday, March 26, 2012

Gazing Upon the Stars

"A philosopher once asked, "Are we human because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are human?""
I was sitting out on the tennis court earlier tonight, stargazing, and thinking about the unstoppability of life as the stars dipped closer to the horizon and disappeared from view. One might say that stargazing makes you feel how insignificant you are. But it shows me that I have significance. 
Revelations 4:11 says Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
Everything; the stars, people, all of the amazing things I see every day, it was all created for God's pleasure. But he allows me to share in it, and to take pleasure. And I believe that he takes joy in my pleasure also. He could have made me like a servant, only here to do his bidding, and my happiness wouldn't come into play at all. But he didn't. He made it so that I get enjoyment out of the things that he has made. I love to watch the stars, and I love to hear a baby giggle, and I love riding horses in the mountains. And my joy makes him happy. 
God is not selfish in that way. He is selfish for us. He wants people to all belong to him, but everything else he has made, he wants to share. And he uses it to call us closer to him. It's so much easier sometimes to feel the presence of God when you're sitting on the beach in the moonlight, or up a mountain, or sitting in a massive thunderstorm. When you see his power, and all he has made, you feel him. 
And so I watch the stars. Not because it makes me feel little, but because it reminds me what a great God I serve, and how much he loves me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment