Monday, March 12, 2012

Don't need no stinkin' cowboy...

Don't worry. My grammar hasn't gone that far downhill during my time in India. The title is a quote from a t-shirt that is sold in tack catalogues. It says, "Got my horse, got my dog, don't need no stinkin' cowboy."
And that's just how I used to feel. Not necessarily about cowboys, but about people in general. I felt like, so long as I had horses around, I didn't need people. But that's not the case anymore.
Oh, I still love horses, and think they make way more sense than the average person (they're more honest if nothing else...), but they aren't all that I need in my life. I love working with the horses here, but I miss helping people 1 on 1. I miss being there for my students and friends. I absolutely love Saturdays when the Smyrna kids come for therapy. To see their smiles as they benefit from their time with the horses is great.
I know that what I am doing here is useful, but I wish there was more of a chance to see my impact. And maybe that's the point; to continue faithfully even when I don't see what is coming of the things I am doing.
You may have your horse and your dog, but ultimately, we all still need people.

No comments:

Post a Comment