Wednesday, March 30, 2016

My Life in Ruins: Part 2

Not the best photo, but I was in the 2nd seat in the middle row (so there were 3 seats and and aisle between the window and me...This was my first look at Istanbul.

Writing this in the Istanbul airport, though, due to sucky internet, it won't be posted til sometime in Greece. 
10 hours and 10 minutes from Chicago to Istanbul. And that was after we sat there for half an hour, waiting while they dealt with technical issues with the plane's toilets. Not something you want to lose on a 10 hr flight... Though...better to lose toilets than wings...it's all about perspective. 
The trip has been fairly uneventful. The highlight was sampling Turkish Delight at one of the gift shops, and internally debating whether I'd sell out my siblings for it. Steve I would. Heck...I'd sell him for a stale tootsie role. Carla...yeah, for the most part I wouldn't, but there was one flavour that might make me at least think twice :~)
Started the flight sitting between 2 Pakistani men. They kept talking over me, and the one seemed to be spoiling for a fight. Kept gesturing in my face (gesturing at the other guy, but nearly slapping me...) til I put a hand up to block him. Luckily, he moved soon after, and it was an old Pakistani lady on one side, then me, an empty seat, and then her husband. Guess they both wanted aisle seats. They kept taking over me, but as I could only understand maybe one word in ten, it was easy to block out. They did chat with me a little, and they apologized for talking over me, but I told them it was like watching a tennis match, so I didn't mind.
Second leg of the trip (this part I am typing in the hostel before going to sleep...) was pretty easy. Though really, I am of the opinion that if you're gonna go through all of the hassle of getting on the plane, you may as well be on there longer than 50 minutes. So I watched half a movie.
Then I had to decide if I was going to do a taxi or the metro. Taxi is, of course, easier. But it is also a lot more expensive. So I took the metro. It was nice, because I had about 40 minutes on one train, then switched to another, and that was it. I didn't have 50 changes. And I kinda felt like I'd accomplished something :~) Of course, I also felt like the people on the Metro thought I was crazy with my bags. Already had someone ask about my amount of luggage. They don't think I'm so crazy when they find out that the one bag is donations, and I will be leaving it behind. And I will be so glad to be rid of it. It's a pain in the butt. 
But I am here. I'm gonna go to sleep, because even though my body is saying it's nearly 5 pm, my watch says it's nearly 1 am. And I have not slept much at all over the last few days. So there will of course be more later. Stay tuned :~)
I still don't feel like I'm in Greece. Maybe after I sleep and when I start exploring in the daylight :~)

No comments:

Post a Comment