Friday, March 11, 2016

Greece, Knitting, Beach Clean-up

I'm leaving the country. Yes...again. Finally...
March 29th, I leave for Greece. I will be spending about a month in Greece, then I plan to do some travelling in Europe. While I am in Greece, I will be working with a couple of different organizations.
First, I will be working with The Melissa Network. They use crafts, drama, and art as psychotherapy for migrant women. I will be working with them, helping out where I can, and teaching knitting classes.
This is where comes the first ask. I want to take knitting supplies with me that I can leave with them. The women can learn to knit, and knit scarves and whatnot for their families, and for others who are in need of them. It is still chilly in Greece, and the immigrants are traveling and sleeping outside. Warm clothing is a must. The more yarn and needles I can take, the better. Thicker weight yarn, worsted and up, would be best, as they are easier for people to learn on, and knit up faster. The substance used in the yarn doesn't matter. Acrylic is perfectly ok, as it is actually easier to clean, and more forgiving of being damp and whatnot. But wool or anything else is ok too.
After leaving the Melissa Network, I will be going to Lesvos, where I will be working with Philippa and Eric Kempson, who are partnered with A Drop in the Ocean. They meet boats coming in with refugees when there are boats, and do other necessary work on the island when there are not boats, such as cleaning up and working on the refugee camps.
I have bought my tickets, and will be paying for my own lodging and whatnot while I am volunteering. From the volunteer info I have read, the cost will be something like $40-$50/day for food and lodging. If anyone would find themselves able to help out to defray this cost, that would be amazing.
Donated money will be used only while I am volunteering. During times that I am traveling for the heck of it, I will fund my own way.
If you are interested in helping with financial support, I have set up a crowdfunding page that can be used for donations.
If you are interested in donating, whether knitting supplies or money, send me a message on Facebook, or a text at (815) 315-2128.
There will be more updates as my departure date grows closer, but I wanted to get this one out quickly.

3 comments:

  1. Prayers going up for lots of donations, traveling mercies, & an overflow of His favor as you embark on this mission to help others. I will keep you in my prayers, God bless, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I greatly appreciate your prayers :~)

      Delete