Friday, March 25, 2016

Getting Back on the Horse

This picture will make more sense once you've read the blog :~)
I'm super apprehensive about the idea of going to Greece. More so than I've been about going other places recently. Perhaps it is because I've not traveled out of the country in some time. Perhaps it has to do with all of the unrest. I don't think it's that one. There's unrest everywhere. I could die in Rockford when I go for an IceHogs game...
I don't really know what the problem is. Could be some depression that just makes me disinterested in anything.
My best guess though, is that it is more about the fact that I haven't had the best luck with groups I have worked with recently...The last couple of times I went to India, it wasn't good. I worked with people who were a bit narcissistic (to put it nicely...). The jobs ended up going sharply south, and I was incredibly hurt by it all. And I don't want to do that again. It's not fun...
I've been back in the States for a while, and it's sort of time to "get back on the horse that threw me". But the problem is, when you're tossed off of a horse, you need to get back on as soon as possible, because the longer you wait, the harder it will be to get back on. You'll psych yourself out, and not want to bother with it. You'll come up with reasons to not do it. Maybe you're too busy. Maybe the horse looks a little gimpy today. Not to mention, you're super stiff from the impact with the ground. There's always a reason to not get back on.
And I think that's my problem now. There's always a reason. I can find this and that to keep me busy, I don't want to leave the dogs and cats, it's expensive to travel the world. But it all comes back to the fact that I want to go, but I don't want to be hurt again. Just like wanting to get back on that horse and go cantering across the field, but not wanting another faceful of dirt...
So it's time to get back on. I have spent enough time not going, and if I don't go, I may as well give up on ever traveling again.
I'm hoping this trip goes really well. I want it to be like that ride just after you're tossed, where the horse is totally chill, and you're able to relax and enjoy your time, and realize again why you like riding. We'll see. Travel is nearly as unpredictable as a horse. And that is saying a lot...

No comments:

Post a Comment