Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Things I miss

Notice in the title, I say things. Not people. So don't think I am just being materialistic and that I only miss things. I was thinking yesterday about certain conveniences that I really don't think about while I am at home, or that annoy me when I am home. But when I am gone, I realize just how much they make my life easier. So here are some of them that I have thought of recently.

Cars-Normally, I am not a fan of cars. I don't like driving, gas is expensive, and they pollute the air. But oh my goodness, they make life so much easier. It takes me several times longer to get anywhere here. I don't mind the walking so much, though sometimes I get very tired. But when it is too long to walk, waiting on the bus becomes rather a hassle. It makes me miss the ease of just walking outside, jumping in the car (preferably with someone else driving, but either way), and going where I need to go. I don't need to worry about arriving late because the bus is late for whatever reason, and I don't have to get to the bus stop early in case (miracles of miracles) the bus is early.
The bus is however a far more social experience than riding in a car. As long as it is kept appropriate, I actually rather enjoy spending the time with people.

Convenient food-I don't even have a microwave, but it's so easy to take a piece of pizza (made on our spinny pizza maker) and pop it in the toaster oven, and pretty soon, it's warm and the cheese is melted, and it's ready to eat.

In the same vein...Ovens-Most people here don't have ovens, and where there are ovens, they're not so great. It either takes forever to bake something, or the oven burns whatever you're making. I really enjoy cooking on the stove, but there's something to be said about being able to bake cookies whenever you feel like it.

Long showers-I guess I should clarify. I can take long showers if I please. However, what I miss are long showers that remain hot for longer than 3 minutes. I am becoming an expert at super fast showers.

Water-Obviously we have water here, but I am talking about 2 specific types of water. First, drinking water that comes out of the tap. Water I can brush my teeth with without bringing a bottle of water into the bathroom with me. I guess I could, but I don't want anymore intestinal parasites than those I have already probably picked up. Oops...that was probably TMI :~) I also miss having hot water that comes out of a tap. It's so much easier to wash dishes when I don't have to haul hot water.

Washing machine-There's a machine at Farley, but you have to haul water to it, and then haul the water away also. There are other places I can have my clothes washed, but I have to carry my clothes quite a ways. A washing machine in the house is a lovely thing. I'm not so concerned about the dryer. I am totally fine hanging my clothes to dry, but having a washer that is close by that I don't have to carry water for is nice.

I'm sure I could think of a lot more things, but those are the main things that make my life easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment