Sunday, February 19, 2012

What makes life normal?


I’ve come to realize that this whole plan of keeping up with a blog is falling apart quickly. As I go through the day, I think of lots of things I want to write. But then in the evening, I am either tired, busy, or talking to Anu (my couchsurfing host). And now I am staying in a place that does not have internet. So I am trying to get caught up a little bit by typing in a document that I can post later.
Mumbai is so crazy different from Ooty, and then in some ways, it is very similar. There are random things that people do that I just look at it and say, ‘yep, that’s India.’ It’s weird how fast you get used to things. I mean, really, I have not spent that much time in India. But the way people act, and the way life is, it just seems normal. Yeah, sometimes it drives me nutty, but so does stuff at home that I have grown up with. But it’s not really a culture shock or anything.
The whole thing of driving on the left side of the road is an example of this. Some of you may know that when I come home, I have issues with driving on the right side of the road. Ok, that’s stupid. I was 21 before I came to India (which is the only country I’ve been to so far where they drive on the left). So I had 21 years of seeing people drive on the right side of the road, and 3 years driving (well, 3 legal years…) myself. That’s what I should be used to. But driving on the left is a lot easier for me. I have to make myself think to figure out which side I’m supposed to be on at home. So watch out if you see me driving around in June.
There is really no such thing as on time here. Some people might say that I should be used to that after growing up with my Dad. But compared to Indians, Dad is super punctual. Scary, I know. Half the time, it seems like there is no concept of on time. The train will get there when it gets there. Your driver (for people who have drivers) will show up when he shows up. He might be late if he has to get chai. Or he might be late for some reason you’ll never know. You can try talking to people about their punctuality, and they will be very contrite, and apologetic, but nothing will change. Except you. You’ll either get to the point that you can’t handle it anymore, or you’ll get to the point where you are used to it, and you learn to be more patient.
Culture shock is really nothing more than a person having their view of what is “right”, and not being willing to accept that to someone else, they’re the crazy one. If you’re going to travel, you have to be open to the fact that, outside of your country, things will be different. And it’s way easier to accept the culture you are in than it is to try to change a whole culture. You’ll also learn a lot more. Maybe some things at home are better, maybe some things where you go are better. Some will be equal, but you’ll never know if you don’t give it a chance.
Like chai breaks in India. Those are great. We don’t do things like that. You grab tea or coffee, and drink it while you work. Here, lots of people have specific times for breaks. They’ll have their chai, and perhaps a biscuit, drink it in a couple of minutes, and then get back to work. They don’t spend all day sipping their chai, but it gives a nice respite from their work. And I think it’s brilliant. Wouldn’t go over so well at home if I said, ‘ok, I’m gonna take a chai break.’, although it’s really no worse than a smoke break (but that’s a whole other thing…), but it’s very pleasant.
It’s not so much what makes life normal that you should worry about. Worry about what makes you happy. And what brings glory to God. Beyond those things, normal is obsolete. Who cares if people think you’re crazy no matter what country you’re in. I’d rather be crazy and happy than normal and always worried about what people think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment