Saturday, August 2, 2014

Planning Ahead? Totally Overrated...

I’m not entirely certain how smart this trip to Australia was. Simply because it was sort of a spur of the moment thing. I mean, it wasn’t exactly a planned thing…I probably should have put some thought into it. I mean, it’s one of those things that a lot of people say they want to do, but they don’t actually do it. And I spent a couple of months debating where I actually wanted to go (stay in Asia, or go to Australia… those were pretty much the ideas in debate), then decided on Australia based more on the fact that I knew people in Oz who plan to move back to the States next year, so basically it’s a matter of decent timing.

At one point, a week or so before I left India, I sent a message to a friend, saying I’d be going to Australia, and did he have any suggestions for what I should see. He was amused by how casual I was about going to Australia, though really, I guess my thinking tended more toward the fact that I was leaving India (which I’m still amazed and surprised by even after all this time) to go to another western country. Not that I don’t like western countries, but it doesn’t feel like that big of a deal. So basically, I came to Australia with no plan aside from flying into Perth, spending some time with a friend there, and flying out of Sydney. In between, I had a bit over a month and a half to play with.
If you travel like most people, I am guessing this manner of travel would not even enter your mind. Unfortunately, the intelligent idea of thinking things through doesn’t always really occur to me. But for me, that’s ok. I’m (mostly) ok with not knowing what is coming up next. Oh, I have moments where I have a little meltdown, and rant for a few minutes about why I am stupid enough to not make plans. My Mom enjoys that part :~) After a little while though, I sit down and work out what my next step will be. Soon, things are sorted, and I am on my way again. The trip goes one step at a time, and I have a basic idea of what is happening, though beyond that, I’m not sure. I’ve just started to laugh when people ask me where I’m going next…

No comments:

Post a Comment