Friday, August 29, 2014

The Worth of a Coke

Met a guy the other night. His name is Sam. He and his dog Ty are among the many homeless living in Sydney. I've seen them before, asleep outside the store where I go to buy supper sometimes. They were snuggled together the first time I saw them, the way Cosette and I usually sleep when we're together. Ty was snuggled up to Sam, and Sam had his arms around Ty. Both were fast asleep as though they were not at all bothered where they were sleeping, as long as they were together.
The second time I saw them, it was a cold, rainy night. Ty was eating his supper as I walked out of the store, and I noticed that Sam had several cans of food for Ty, but I didn't see anything for him. Though I suppose he could have been planning to eat dog food as well. I left the store, debating in my mind what I should do. I don't like giving money to beggars. I've had it too pounded into my head while in India that giving money to beggars is a bad thing to do.
I got almost to the top of the stairs and turned around. I needed to do something, I just wasn't sure what.
I went back and said hi to Sam and offered to get him something to eat. He looked up in surprise, like he couldn't believe that someone was actually talking to him. I offered that I could get him some food or something, and he told me he was ok, but would take a drink. He wasn't terribly picky, said a Coke or whatever would be fine.
I questioned then why I turned back. He obviously wasn't in desperate need of food if all he wanted was a Coke. A Coke cost more than I had spent on food all day. They're not exactly cheap here... but that was what he wanted. And I know how good a cold Coke can taste when you get a hankering for one. So, despite the fact that I typically count Coke (at least in Australia) a waste of money, I went back into the store and bought him a Coke.
It took me a while to get through the line. Had a nice little chat with the cashier about the hat I was wearing, and how great handmade items are. Brought a smile to her face, and brightened my day as well. I started to think that maybe Cokes weren't such a waste of money.  
I think that Sam figured I had snuck out of the store without buying him a drink. He looked pretty shocked when I walked up. He thanked me for the drink, and took a sip without meeting my eyes. He seemed shy, not rude, so I asked him his dog's name, thinking that may be an unthreatening topic. Sam's eyes lit up as he told me Ty's name and grew even brighter when I told him what a gorgeous dog he has. Just a small thing to say, but something that will brighten the day of anyone who loves their dog.
We didn't really talk beyond that. Sam was focused on his Coke, and didn't seem inclined to talk. I didn't want to push it, treating him as though he owed me something because I bought him a bottle of pop.
As I walked away though, Sam still had a smile on his face and seemed a little less burdened than he had when I first saw him. And that put a smile on my face as well.
So what was the cost of a bottle of Coke? Something like $3.80. What did it buy? A lovely conversation with a harried cashier, a chance for a few uplifting words to a homeless man, and smiles for all three of us. I'd say it was definitely worth it.
Just a thought... buy someone a drink (my Mom suggested this to me recently, I can't take all the credit), talk to someone about something simple in life. Just do something to bring a smile to someone's face. You never know what you'll affect.

No comments:

Post a Comment