Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Favourites of the Week 3/23-3/29

 
This dog hung over the railing of the apartment building he was in much of the morning as we ate breakfast and chatted across the way from him. He looks like he's dreaming of getting out and running, but as he's in the middle of the city, surrounded by huge buildings, I doubt that will be a possibility for him. Sad to see such a big dog cooped up. But he looked so dignified that I loved how the photo turned out. 
 
While I was wandering around, I found this little indoor market. Several ladies tried to speak with me, and were disappointed to find that I did not speak Telugu. This lady though, called me back, and asked me to take her picture. All of the others around were laughing while watching this happen. 
 
Glanced up at just the right time to see this lizard chilling in an Airtel sign. There was a little rip in the canvas of the sign, and the lizard had found itself a good hiding place. Or so it thought
 
 
I was so excited to finally get this picture! I've seen camels about 4 times since coming to Hyd, but always as we were driving past too quickly to get the photo. This time, however, I saw them soon enough to get my camera out. I was a little worried that cars were going to get in the way as I snapped the picture, but I was very happy to see how it turned out.

A little game of hide and seek. The babies seemed like they were getting a little nervous about all of the people, but this one was also a little curious. It just needed some protection from Mom to be brave. 

I watched this guy drink for quite a while. For some reason, it was fascinating. He had his nose underwater for a long time...and you could see the gulps of water going up his throat, similar to watching a horse drink.

In spite of the heat, these two couldn't stop playing for long. They'd separate and lie down for a time, then one would stand up and start stalking slowly toward the other. When he got within about 20 feet, he'd run and jump. They'd spend a little time wrestling, then go lay down for a few minutes until it all began again.

During one of the resting times. Still alert though, waiting for the next attack.


Family portrait. The two that were not in the water were trying to figure out how to get into the water without jumping off the scary bank. The one in the water wanted to get out. I think her paws were turning to prunes. Mom was content where she was, focusing on her babies, and ignoring all the humans watching them.

The sentry and the eagle. I didn't even see the eagle as I was taking the picture. I was taking a picture of the deer (gazelle?). He had been standing there for a long time, staring into the distance, watching for danger to the herd. Considering they were in a pen in the zoo, I think they were pretty safe, but he still took his job seriously.

This little guy landed on me while I was taking pictures of the elephants. Spiders have such sweet faces. No, I'm not completely mad.

I just like this picture. I wonder what they were staring at.

Most of the animals seemed a little nervous about the people watching them, but this one seemed very interested. He was in the moat, cooling off, and when he saw us watching, he came over to see what was up.

 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment