Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Idiocy of Flight


Contemplate for a moment how goofy it is that we climb into metal cylinders to fly through the air in hurtling death traps. I’m actually in such a death trap at the moment. One with a lot of turbulence… not exactly the place where I’d advise thinking of such things…

Anyway, people are a very strange species. We come up with some weird ideas. I can’t decide sometimes if we’re stupid or clever. Or perhaps a mix of the two. There’s an episode of Doctor Who where the Doctor says that in 900 years (pretty sure that’s the number he uses), he’s never met anyone who is unimportant.

Sometimes I think about how God sees us the same way. Except that he’s been watching is for a lot more than 900 years, and he’s a lot more familiar with us (not to mention the fact that he’s real…). And he would not say that a single person is unimportant, whether it’s an inventor who makes things that others couldn’t dream of, or the person who assembles those inventions. Or the people above, below, or in between those two. Sometimes I look at myself and what I’m doing, and I compare myself to others. Occasionally I say that I’m doing better than someone else. At other times (far more often), I say that I’m not doing anywhere near enough, and I need to be more like this one, or that one. And then I realize that God is pleased with me. He’s pleased with the things that I am doing, he is pleased with who I am, and with my desire to serve him. And really, I believe that he is pleased with the joy that I take in his creation, and what he is doing in the world.

God doesn’t think that I am less important than those crazies who came up with the idea of flinging people through the sky in metal cylinders (yeah, see how technically aware I am of such things…?). And he also doesn’t consider me less important than great evangelists or missionaries.

People are amazing. All so different, all so unique. And each one with something different to offer the world. Not a single one ordinary. Not a single one deserving of another judging them and finding them wanting. God found each of us so special that he gave his Son to save us. If he felt that way about us, how do we get by determining who is important, and who is not? It’s not really our place, and though I am guilty of being judgmental, it’s something that I am working on. I want to see people in the way that God does.
Also, with all of these short flights I’m doing, there has been a LOT of turbulence, so I’m really hoping that the pilots don’t give people reason to judge them…

No comments:

Post a Comment