Friday, December 2, 2011

Star Light, Star Bright

Advent 2011 Day 6

Numbers 24:17, 19
I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab.
Out of Jacob shall come he that shall have dominion, and shall destroy him that remaineth of the city.

Revelation 22:16
I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

2 Peter 1:19
We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

Have you ever been outside in the early morning when it's crazy dark except for the stars? And then they seem even brighter than normal because of the darkness of the sky. It's amazing.
These verses talk about Jesus as the morning star. The first light you see in the dark morning.
One time in India, I was trying to find a Gaur (a big buffalo type animal), and I was wandering around in a place that I was not familiar with. I lost track of time, and lost track of where I was, and by the time that I realized it was getting dark, I had no idea where I was. I tried to get back to the road so I could head to town, but I could not find my way.
I walked around in the dark with nothing to guide me. My phone had died that morning and I left it in town to charge, so I couldn't even use the light on it. I was starting to worry that I would be stuck on the mountain until the next morning.
But then I heard a dog barking. It was a bark that I recognized, and I knew that the dog was at a house near the road. So I followed it, and I was so relieved. Then I started seeing lights. Lights from the house, and lights from vehicles passing on the road. Those lights looked amazingly bright after wandering in the dark for over an hour. I'm not really big on traffic, but I was so happy to see headlights after being in the dark.
And seeing Jesus is like that. We are wandering in the dark, and then suddenly, there is a light there. A brilliant morning star that comes out when things seem the darkest. The light that rids you of your fear, and shows you where you are going.


No comments:

Post a Comment