Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Done with Christmas

Advent 2011 Day 24

Ok, so as of today, I am pretty well ready to forget about Christmas and be done with it. I'll pretend it's January, and Christmas is already over. Or I'll pretend that Christmas doesn't exist at all, or it's been outlawed or something. I don't care how it works. There will just be no Christmas.
Now, this is very different from my usual stance on Christmas. And even the way that I felt just a few hours ago. I love Christmas. I have grown to like it more every year. I'm not sure why, I just like it. I think a lot of the reason for that is the fact that I love giving presents. It's just fun to me.
But I just found out today that one of my presents I was really excited about giving is ruined. I have no idea what I will do instead of that present. There's really no way to just get another to replace it. And that really upsets me. It's not the cost of the gift that bothers me; it wasn't really that expensive. It's the fact that I was really looking forward to giving it, and now I don't know what to do. And there isn't a whole lot of time to come up with something new.
But maybe there's a reason for it. I have no idea what that reason could be. I would think that a ruined Christmas present is pretty pointless, and nothing could come of that. But maybe I'm wrong.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

I realize that overall, Christmas presents aren't probably going to make much of a difference in anyone's life path. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't trust God to make things turn out right.
My own understanding says, 'It would have worked out better if things simply went as I planned and that was that.'
But maybe God's understanding doesn't work that way. Maybe someday I will see that the things I worry about, and the things that upset me really aren't as important as I think they are. Maybe one day, I'll see things the way God sees them, and I'll see a lesson that I learned from this that I didn't even know I learned.
But until that happens, I need to just trust God. Trust him that he knows what's going on even when I think things are only going wrong. And I need to remember what I've been writing in this blog. That this is a season of peace and I need to pursue that peace instead of letting everything get me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment