Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Oil of Joy for Mourning

Advent 2011 Day 18

Isaiah 61:1-3, 10-11
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;
To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.
I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God for he hath clothed me with the garment of salvation. he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.
For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth the things that are sown in it to spring forth; so the Lord God will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations.

What a decree! My favourite part is verse 10: "I will greatly rejoice in my Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God". Lots of times, when I am trying to help the brokenhearted, and the captives, my heart is heavy. I feel for them, and I can scarcely help being drug down emotionally by their circumstances. But there is no need for that.
The one who has put his Spirit upon me to help me set the prisoners free, is the one that I can take rejoice in. He does not put me in situations where there is sorrow to fill my heart with sorrow. Rather, he gives me joy so that I can bring joy into those situations.
We are not to bring mere happiness. Happiness hinges on circumstances. Joy is given by God, and it does not matter what life is looking like, you can still have joy no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment