Thursday, December 15, 2011

Oh Daughter of Zion

Advent 2011 Day 19

Zephaniah 3:14-17
Sing, O daughter of Zion; shout, O Israel; be glad and rejoice with all the heart, O daughter of Jerusalem.
The Lord hath taken away thy judgments, he hath cast out thine enemy: the king of Israel, even the Lord, is in the midst of thee: thou shalt not see evil any more.
In that day it shall be said to Jerusalem, Fear thou not: and to Zion, Let not thine hands be slack.
The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.

I need that verse very often. I don't always remember it when I should though. I know that God is mighty and can save me, but I forget the rest of verse 17. He rejoices over me.
During the times that I need saving, I don't think that there is any way that God could rejoice over me. I feel like he must be disappointed in me, even though everything in the Bible tells me otherwise. Somehow, this verse makes me believe it more.
It's kind of sad when our view of Christmas ends with the birth of Jesus. Many of the prophecies that talk about Jesus coming talk about him bringing salvation. They don't just say that he'll come and that will be it. And the reason this is what they refer to is because it is why he came.
We have salvation because Jesus came and was born and died for us. We are able to know that God is rejoicing over us because Jesus came, and we are able to approach the throne of God with confidence.
So take some time to revel in the fact that God is rejoicing over you. Really rest in him, and do your best to understand that this is true. Don't just rush through life, but believe that God sings over you.

No comments:

Post a Comment