Sunday, June 8, 2014

Brave Knights and Heroic Courage

I was watching Merryn, the 4 year old daughter of a friend the other day. I had been watching Doctor Who before she came in, and she didn’t want to switch it. I was much happier to continue watching Doctor Who than I would have been watching Barbie, or other things of that nature which Merryn usually likes to watch. But I was a little concerned about giving her nightmares. When I asked her though, if it was too scary, she pointed to the Doctor and informed me that he would save everyone. This was her reason for not being scared. And apparently when was telling the truth, because her Mom told me the next day that there were no nightmares. Because she understood that somehow, the Doctor would make everything ok.
C.S. Lewis said, “Since it is likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage.”
I’ve always been impressed with Merryn’s parents being cautious about how much “scary” stuff she’s allowed to watch. But she’s at the age that she can understand things like good and bad now.
If I have kids, they will learn from a young age about knights and courage. Lewis’ Narnia books are a good start for that. And Doctor Who. Stories that show that not everything will be perfect, but everything will become right at some point.
Courage and fear are the two options available to a child, and I would much sooner my children learn of courage.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment