Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Old Man and the Dog

I was wandering through town, taking random pictures of things when I saw this street dog just chilling in the middle of the street. He seemed so relaxed despite the chaos around him. I stood for a while, taking pictures of the dog, trying to get a good shot between the passing vehicles.
Just as I stopped to take pictures of the dog, an elderly man passed me. He stopped and turned, then stood there, watching me take pictures. I could see him out of the corner of my eye, but could not tell if he was interested, or displeased, or really what his thoughts were. I tried to not feel awkward as he watched, and as soon as I finished with the pictures, I started to walk down the road in the opposite direction from the man.
He stopped me though, saying ma’am to get my attention. After that, he said something that I didn’t understand, then motioned to my camera. He took his glasses off, I think to make himself look more distinguished, and stood for a photo. He thanked me, I showed him the photo, then he thanked me again and walked away.
It always intrigues me when men do this. It is often older men who want their photo taken. My Mom had a security guard who wanted her to take his picture when she was here. They pose in a very solemn manner, and don’t even seem terribly interested in seeing the photo afterward. They just want it taken. It’s fine by me, because I end up with interesting pictures, but it also makes me curious as to why this is such a special thing. I’m used to little kids asking to have their photos taken, but am still rather taken aback when older gentlemen do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment