Monday, March 11, 2013

A tiny candle

Taking some time to read the news...I do that every once in a while, when I realize that I have no idea what is happening in the world. I never noticed just how much of the news I notice when it ison at home. Not having a tv makes it so that I have to make a bit of an attempt to see what is happening around the world.
And then I wonder why I bother. Is there nothing good happening in the world? Not according to any news site that I can find. I was reading the newspaper the other day when we were out to lunch, and in the whole paper, I found only one or two articles that were positive. And those were only about a paragraph long, while long articles were written about the drought, and farmers committing suicide, and women being raped just because they're women and they're walking around town. We kind of joked about it, but it's really not a good thing.
Where is the joy in the world? I know there is joy here, because I experience it. And somehow, I can't believe that I am the only person who derives joy from life. But looking at the internet, it sure does seem that way sometimes. And even looking at facebook, I often see people who are complaining about the things that they don't have, or the weather, or whatever rather than being happy about what they do have (even just the fact that they have a warm home to stay inside when the weather is bad).
There is joy in the world. There is joy in teaching little horse-crazy kids to ride. There is joy in snuggling with a little puppy, in having a late night talk with a friend around a campfire. There's joy in things that are big and little. Joy in changing someone's life in a huge way, and joy in simply bringing a smile to someone's face. Why can't people see the joy?
Reading through the news, I found one place that has positive stories. Though technically, they most likely wouldn't be called news. They would be feel good pieces put in there to make life look less bleak. msn.com has their "Pay it Forward" section. This is a story from it, and a really sweet story.

http://www.today.com/tech/bunny-lost-n-found-instagram-rescues-toddlers-toy-trash-1C8773767
It's good to stay informed about the world. To know what is happening. But it isn't good to let it drag you down. I have a hard time staying positive when it seems like the world is going downhill quickly. Mild depression is something I have struggled with a lot. I'm doing better with it, but still, when just reading the headlines makes me think there is no good in the world, I have to make a pointed effort to see that there is good.
So I take notice of small things that are lights in the darkness. Sometimes, the small things are the things you don't notice, but they are the things that you need to notice more than anything else. A tiny candle in a dark room so to speak.And if ever we need candles, it is when the world is at its darkest.
What is your candle?

No comments:

Post a Comment