Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Adventure Begins

The next few blogs are some that I wrote while I was in VT during Hurricane Irene.

The adventure has begun. Not only have I left the farm, but I have left in the middle of a hurricane. Or tropical storm. Whichever you prefer. It was absolutely pouring when I packed up my car and left.
I determined that the best start to an adventure was going to church. So I headed toward Windham. The rain came down like mad as I drove. My windows fogged, and I began to question my sanity. But I went just the same. I had said my goodbyes, and I was ready to leave.
On my way, I stopped to see what things looked like from the top of the Townshend Dam. Fog was still thick over the mountains, but I could see how high the water was. Grass poked through the water a good distance from the shore. You could almost feel sorry for it there, where it thought it would be safe from the water.
Looking down the other side of the dam, I saw something intriguing. Just below the dam, the water was dark and calm. A short way downstream, however, a side creek joined the main river. This creek roiled and raged as it entered the river, churning up the soil as it came, and colouring itself with the sediment. As the muddy brown water flowed out of the stream, it drew a sharp line across the river. The waters did not mingle. Rather, they existed side by side, looking for all the world like the meeting of the waters in Brazil. Perhaps Vermont was jealous of the Amazonas.
Continuing to church, I saw signs of the weather other than simply the rain. Branches and twigs littered the road heavily, and I hoped that I would not come across anything too large to pass by. There was nothing though that hindered my progress.
I made it to church, and called Mom to talk for a few minutes. The church parking lot was one of the few places that I could get cell service. I was actually stalling on going through the rain. When I finally went inside, I ended up soaked almost immediately. As it turned out, that did not really matter too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment