Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Head in the Sand

Do you have something in your life that you absolutely hate? Not just some song on the radio, or some jerk who won't leave you alone, but something that really upsets you? It could be abortion, or human trafficking, or abuse of children or animals. There are so many things to hate in this world. And what is the easiest thing to do about it? It's easiest to try to pretend that it doesn't exist. To 'bury your head in the sand' so to speak, and avoid thinking about it.
My recent 'head in the sand' topic is trapping, which I have written about before. I decided that it is something about which I should write a letter to my representative. I mean, really, why are they there but to represent the people? And I am part of the people, so I need to make my voice heard. However, I needed facts in order to write a legitimate letter. I can't just go in saying, "I think beavers are cute and trappers are mean. You should listen to me." I need to give examples of why trapping is wrong (once again, if you think trapping is good, don't bother arguing with me. We're all allowed to have our own opinions, and you're allowed to be stupid. But if you argue with me on this point, I will punch you in the face). And to give examples, I needed to find out what it really is. 
I did the same thing when I decided a few years ago that I had to have my own opinion about abortion. I knew it was wrong, but I knew it was wrong because I had grown up with my parents volunteering at the Freeport Pregnancy Centre, and they firmly believed that abortion was wrong. I needed to know why it was wrong, and in the course of my research, I discovered that people are scum, and I am embarrassed to be a human. And pretty much the same thing happened when I started to research trapping. And it has happened over the years whenever I have researched something that I think is wrong with the world. 
Several years ago, my Grampa gave me a copy of the poem 'The Monkeys' Disgrace'. I think about it more and more lately...
Maybe it isn't such an insult when Grampa compares me to a monkey...
The thing of it is though, we can't be like the monkeys and say, 'Well, that's nothing to do with us.', and we can't be like the ostriches and stick our heads in the sand, waiting for all of the garbage to pass us by. We have to know what is happening. I know that I cannot fix everything that is wrong with the world. It simply isn't possible. But I need to decide what I think are the most important things for me to fight for. And I need to be aware of those things so that I actually sound like I know what I am talking about. Time Magazine (Feb 20, 2005) had this quote from Clint Eastwood: 
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." 
I think that this kind of extremism is what a lot of people do. They can say they have a stance on things, and it doesn't take a lot of effort to hold that stance. Maybe some spirited debate among friends where they can make a big deal about what they "believe". But in order to change things, you have to know what it is you're actually against. Stop sticking your head in the sand, even if you have to learn things that you don't want to know. As G.I. Joe said, "Knowing is half the battle." 
So keep your head out of the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment