Saturday, May 10, 2014

Favourites of the Week 6/4-12/4


This guy made the best roti I've ever had. Oh my goodness... best part of breakfast almost every morning while I was in Jammu. He seemed a little unsure of why I was taking a picture, but then seemed happy that I wanted to.


And then he wanted me to take another picture because he wanted to be sure that his wife was in the picture too. She was quite embarrassed by it, but I thought it was sweet that he was so concerned that she was in the picture too.



This little guy was in Delhi. There was such chaos; cars, motorcycles, buses, autos, so many things moving at higher speeds, then there was this little dude, jogging through town with his massive load. It always strikes me as funny, this mix of modern and ancient that one sees in any town around India.

I was a little confused by this place. There were homeless people all around, and yet there were piles of food all around the statue, attracting birds and dogs and such. You could see it from a long way away; not really the statue, but the birds soaring and wheeling around. 
In a way, it made me sad. You expect pigeons and suchlike to be flocking around statues, among droves of people, between two busy streets, but not birds of prey. Birds of prey are supposed to be majestic, aloof, above it all. Not chasing desperately after the leftovers of the human world.  

I usually hate cockroaches. Not enough that I kill them (I don't even kill mosquitoes...), but I can't stand having them in my house. Maybe it's because it wasn't my house, and I was there only for a few days. Maybe it was because I was depressed over too much death in my life the previous week, and needed something to take my mind off of it. I'm not sure. But I watched this cockroach for quite a while that evening. It didn't come toward me, but it didn't seem terribly concerned when I drew close to take the picture either.
God put a certain beauty into bugs, though most people don't see it. There is such design, and such delicate functionality. I realize that I am in the minority thinking this, but that's ok.


These two pictures of seemingly abandoned bicycle rickshaws may not have been taken another day. I noticed them more on this day, because they looked depressed, abandoned, and dead. This day was a week after I found out that my Uncle died, and the day after I found out my pony died. Needless to say, I was pretty down as I walked around. I was trying to keep my mind on more positive things (I get enough attention walking down the street, no need to randomly burst into tears), but I feel like some of my pictures from that day reflected how I felt. 



And then in the middle of my walk, I saw a dinosaur, standing there in the middle of everything. It was one of those things that was so random that I didn't even know what to think right then. It was actually advertising a science museum, which was a surprisingly good distraction for my mind. It at least made me think about things outside of myself so my thoughts did not remain in a swirling vortex inside my head. And it all started when I saw this dinosaur. 

No comments:

Post a Comment