Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Trusting in...

(This is going to be a long story to explain a random thought process from the other day...)
I was thinking about trust yesterday, while driving Herc down the mountain. It's been a while since he's been driven, and even longer since he's been all the way to Ooty. For the most part, he was amazing. He acted like he drove every day. There were a couple of little things that he spooked at, but not much. Until we got to a point where a guy insisted that we stop so he could talk to me and ask where I was from and whatnot. We started off again, but Herc was a little weirded out by the brick road ahead of us. He seems to have some vision problems, and I think he wasn't sure if the darker brick was a hole, or a stream, or what. So he hesitated, looking at the bricks as though they were a volcano we were going to drive into. And that was when our problems began.
I was talking to him, and encouraging him to cross, when this guy jumped forward, and grabbed Herc's bridle, insisting that he would help us. Hercules panicked, not knowing why a stranger would be telling him what to do, and bolted, turning toward home and trying to get away from the man. I jumped down to grab Herc's bridle, and as soon as I was by his head, he started to calm. Until the man grabbed his bridle again. I was trying to calm Hercules, and tell this man to leave him alone, and trying not to get trampled by Hercules, who was terrified by the man. He had his head high, and was trying to run down the road to get away from him.
Finally, the man let go. I think I gestured with my stick as I snapped at him to let go of my horse, and, though I was not at all meaning to hit him, it seemed to make him realize I was serious with what I was saying. He let go, and I stopped Hercules, and put my arms around his head, talking to him and letting him know he was safe. I didn't have to hold him tightly, just sort of hug him and talk softly to him. As soon as he knew it was me that had him, he calmed, resting his head against my chest, seemingly happy to realize that he was with someone safe. We turned around, and he followed me without hesitation, across the bricks that had made him nervous in the first place.
After that, if something startled him, I just had to encourage him, and talk him through it. He would hear my voice, and know that there wasn't anything to be afraid of. Though, when the plastic bag flew through the air toward us, he was a bit freaked out.
So, that whole long story to say, I wish I could be like that. I wish I could trust like that. To say, 'ok, I hear this person's voice, and I know that I can trust them, no matter what.' To not be so distrustful, and scared of being hurt, but to just accept people without so many reservations. Not to be stupid and trust everyone, no matter what, but to trust the people that my heart tells me I can trust, instead of waiting every moment for them to hurt me.
I don't know...I guess this is a little random and rambling. Hope it makes sense. It makes sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment