Monday, October 15, 2012

Sun dog

Ok...maybe this is sacrilegious, but it is something I was thinking about today. See, I was out taking pictures (what a shock, I know.), and I saw a sun dog (one of those rainbows that show up by the sun sometimes), and I got to thinking about them. They remind me of lights that I used to make with a prism that we had. I would hold the prism in the sunlight, and shine little rainbow patches around the floor. And it made me wonder if that is sort of what God does.
Don't get me wrong. I know that God could just think it, and a sun dog would appear. But is that how it works all the time? Or does God take joy in creating something with his hands? I love to create, and I think I would get thoroughly bored if all I did all day was think about what I wanted to create and it appeared. Where is the fun in that? I was made in God's image, so perhaps he feels that way too.
Maybe I am totally wrong. Maybe he really does just think about things, and they appear, and he takes pleasure from that. I don't know. I can't put God in a box of what he would enjoy doing just because that's what I like. But the Bible does talk about God forming us, whereas he merely spoke other parts of creation into existence. He didn't have to do that. It's not like we're this unimaginably incredible creation that he was incapable of speaking into being. That's just how he chose to make us.
So is it really that unimaginable that he might do that in other cases? I don't think so. He made us to enjoy working and creating with our hands, so I feel like it makes sense that he would too. I guess I won't know for sure about this while I am on earth. But everything that I see, all this beauty, is in place to please God. I am so blessed, no matter how it has come to be, that he has given me a chance to share in it with him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment