Monday, October 8, 2012

Colour Blind

I went out to the Jane Addams Trail with my dogs today. I wanted to see if the fall colours were bright there, as they are in many other places. I got out of the car and started walking down the trail, and I must confess, I was a little disappointed at first.
My initial thought was that there weren't colours. It didn't look much different than it does in the summer, aside from a few coloured trees here and there. I was a little annoyed that I had driven out there to see a colourless trail. But then I got thinking about it, and started really looking around me. That was when I changed my view of things.
There were colours all around me. I could write paragraphs just about the shades of green that were along the path. Then there were reds and yellows of the trees that were changing colours; pink, yellow, and white in the flowers that still bloom along the path; shades of brown in the trees and the drying corn fields; and so, so much more.
When I finally saw this, my eyes and my mind were dazzled by the beauty and the colours around me. It is amazing what you can see when you stop focusing on what you expect to see. 

1 comment: