Saturday, January 14, 2012

Well, I finally bought my ticket, sent out support emails/messages, and got everything started with getting lodging in Ooty. It's sort of starting to feel real. Kinda. But it's not going to quite feel real until I am on the ground in India.
I've been feeling more and more excited lately. I am a little bit apprehensive, because I know things aren't the same as they were last time, but still excited. I know that I feel at home in Ooty, and that has nothing to do with the consistency of the Leg Up program. Sometimes I feel more at home there than I do in the States.
It's always a surreal feeling knowing that in a month or so I will be getting on a plane, and, after being in transit for around 24 hours, I will be halfway across the world, and in a completely different time zone. It's very weird to skype with my folks at night, when they are just starting their day.
But it is amazing how quickly you can get used to things that you have not dealt with your whole life. Driving on the left side of the road, not looking men in the eyes, eating different food, learning to communicate with people who only sort of speak english. And then there are the bucket baths, squat toilets, animals roaming the streets, and various other things. But it's somehow amazing.
I'll be writing more as it gets closer to time to leave. I just wanted to share how I am feeling now. It's so exciting to actually have my ticket, and have the dates I'll be there. I love it :~)

No comments:

Post a Comment