Wednesday, April 13, 2016

My Life in Ruins Part 6---Do You Believe in Ferries?

My ferry, waiting to leave. I never quite realize just how big they are til I look at the semis that look like little
toys sitting there :~)
Sitting on a boat on my way to Lesvos, and realized I should probably get a little caught up on blogs. First things first...I'm going to Lesvos. Yeah...I suppose I could have written about that before actually leaving...
Leaving just at Sunset. Wish we'd left a little earlier. By the time we started out, sunset was nearly over. 
It was up in the air a bit whether I was going to go at all, due to the Turkey-EU deal that you've probably heard about. Though, if you're in the States, there's no guarantee that you've heard about it, because if it's not about politicians, the news stations don't seem to think it's important. Good thing the rest of the world goes on hold while the US has our elections...
Ok...Sarcasm aside...
One of the groups I have been talking to was still looking for volunteers. Actually, there are still several groups in need of volunteers, but this is the group I'd connected with previously. They're in the midst of converting a hotel to a shelter, and need help with that. According to their facebook page, a lot of volunteers left with the announcement of the Turkey-EU deal, but there is still work to be done. Who knows what will happen when I'm there. I've given up planning (in case you couldn't tell from my trip so far...).
Blue Star ferries

The plan is to type a few blogs, and then post them every couple of days when I don't feel like writing. Or don't have the time to write. However, there may be a slight glitch to that plan...I always forget how sleepy vehicles make me. Not so much cars, but airplanes, buses, trains...Boats are apparently included in that. Oh man...give me a hammock right now, and I'd be out in 2 minutes...
Ready for bed with Mr Greenfeather
It's funny, because as much as I've been ready to leave Athens these last few days (I like it, but it's too city...Too many people, so I feel like I always have to be paying attention), I had a bit of sadness upon actually getting ready to leave. Wandered around, took a ton of pictures, etc. I don't know why I felt so weird about it. I guess it happens with any place where you get comfortable. Which I was starting to do. I recognize places, and I can make my way around, often without a map. I can use the public transportation system, even when it's messed up and I have to find a new stop. I like it, though I don't think it's somewhere I'll be desperate to return to (though I may be back there for a few days at the end of the month, and a few more mid-June...).
A view of Athens a few hours before I left
Anyway, super duper sleepy, but I'm gonna work on some blogs. By the time you read this, I'll be on Lesvos (because I don't have internet on the ferry, so I can't post it til Lesvos...).
Trying to not lose my hood in the freezing cold wind this morning.


1 comment:

  1. Praying for a productive time on Lesvos! Thanks for keeping us up to date!

    ReplyDelete