Monday, January 4, 2016

2 Rides

I was about 13  when I rode in the backseat of my grandparents' van to bring their new puppy home from the shelter. We became dog show partners, the bane of our obedience instructors' lives, and best buds. 
And I was 28 when I rode in the back of my grandparents' van to take their old dog to the vet to send him on that last journey that I can't join him on. 
Over half of my life, Shadow has been here. I've been here almost his whole life. Of all the dogs over the years, he's the one that has been in my life the longest.
We chose each other at the shelter, so I guess it's fitting that we sort of made the choice together that it was time for him to go.
It was a pretty day today. Shadow would have liked it. Sunny and snowy...I'd have had to pick ice balls out of the fur on his paws if we were out playing. And he'd be sneaking kisses with that big slimy tongue of his the whole time.
There's something to be said about being there at the beginning and the end. And basically, that is that it sucks. And it's also one of the best things you can do.

1 comment: