Friday, September 6, 2013

What We’d Become

Watching I Am Legend (yeah, a lot of my thoughts come when I am watching movies) and their portrayal of what New York would look like after being abandoned made me think about decay and entropy, and the natural way of things to fall apart when not cared for.
Think of a city, and how much work it takes to keep said city in working order. The thing that struck me in I Am Legend was the grass growing everywhere. It turned every area where there should have been nicely manicured lawns into fields you could lose a horse in. How quickly would that have grown there, once there weren’t people there to care for those areas? Nature takes over very fast when outside influences cease.
That led me to think of my life. How much maintenance my life needs in order to stay neat and ordered, instead of turning into an overgrown field. And how quickly my nature, my sin nature, takes over at those moments that I do not keep up with maintenance. When I don’t pray as I should, or I don’t read my Bible as I should, I end up spiraling downward, the weeds growing up to choke out the flowers and plants that I want there.
The one part of the city that it showed not being overgrown was the corn field, which he uses for food. It was important, so he cared for it. If I looked at the spiritual aspects of my life as food, as the very means to my survival (which they are), I would not ignore them so easily.

Stepping back for a while to look at my life, and see how overgrown it is. I think I need to do some work, but that’s the first step, knowing that you need the work. Only when you’ve realized the weeds are taking over can you do some maintenance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment