Monday, February 4, 2013

Filled with Emptiness


It’s a beautiful day. The sun is shining, the colours of Ooty seem even more vibrant in this light, and I am sitting on a bus on my way to go get the ponies and bring them down to Ooty to start Leg Up-Hebron. As usual, I am the only white person on this bus. That always makes me laugh a bit.
It’s been a fun morning. First, I had to go to the market. Usually, I would wait til after 10 or so, when everything is open. But time was not a luxury I possessed this morning, so I went early.
As much as I hate towns, I love Ooty. Though it’s a big town (by my standards at least), it doesn’t feel so much like it is. The bustle and the people, dodging both foot and vehicle traffic, makes Ooty what it is. And this morning, walking around while much of Ooty still slept, felt like a new adventure.
I didn’t notice much difference at first, walking through town. There weren’t quite so many people, but things vary from day to day. But then I ended up on a section of road that was totally empty. For Ooty, this is quite strange. And it was peaceful. There were noises all around, but just in the bit where I was, there was a bubble of peace and quiet.
This all ended of course, as I got to the market. People were arriving by bus, and setting up their shops, or their stalls on the side of the street. Things were back to normal, but it was a wonderful start to a very hectic day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment